Students who read often during out-of-school time achieve at higher levels than children who seldom read.
The Comprehension Box is a game-like tool that gives elementary school students the opportunity to practice essential reading skills in an engaging and interactive way. The Box incorporates three key components of reading...being able to read with understanding and talk and write about what was read. It also makes it easy for families to encourage, support and monitor their child’s reading, even if they don’t read the book.
Each side of the Comprehension Box includes a fun way to build comprehension skills. They include:
- Reading Strategies that good readers use to help understand the text.
- The 5 Finger Rule to make sure students are reading “just right” books that are not too easy or too hard.
- 10 Ways to Write About It … fun writing prompts that encourage children to write about what they read.
- 20 Comprehension Questions that are used to discuss or write about any fiction book.
Contact us to learn how we can bring Comprehension Boxes to your school!
READING AT HOME TOOLBOX
High Expectations helps schools think through their current reading at home expectations and practices and plan for improved outcomes. We provide the tools, resources and professional development to:
- Increase the amount of time students spend reading during out of school hours
- Build a community of readers
- Build the capacity of families to support reading at home